Choosing tools for effective virtualization
Xen Source Server used to be a Linux virtualization solution that was very close to the VMware concept. Citrix recently acquired Xen Source. The server product, which is now know as Citrix Xen Server, is still a Linux system at its core. Unfortunately, the Citrix Xen Server command bridge, which is known as Xen Center, has been transformed into a Windows-only application (Figure 2). One point worthy of notice is that Xen now has a live migration feature, XenMotion, which resembles VMware's VMotion.
Linux virtualization has entered the real world, and the choice of tools comes down to real-world questions of stability, efficiency, and management. The commercial vendors, with their well-integrated, graphical controls, are currently the major contenders. On the other hand, a single host is easily managed through less sophisticated alternatives.
Before choosing a virtualization system, take a careful look at your needs and build a comprehensive solution that is easy to manage, monitor, and deploy. Also, leave yourself room to grow, because you're no longer limited by the size of your server room.
- VMware: http://http://www.vmware.com
- Virtual Iron: http://www.virtualiron.com
- Novell: http://www.novell.com
- Red Hat: http://www.redhat.com/
- Xen: http://www.xen.org/
- Citrix: http://www.citrix.com/
- VServer: http://linux-vserver.org/
- Qumranet: http://www.qumranet.com/
- KVM: http://kvm.qumranet.com/
- Solid ICE: http://web1.qumranet.com/
- QEMU: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
- VirtualBox: http://www.virtualbox.org
- S3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261
- Parallels: http://www.parallels.com/
- Ganeti: http://code.google.com/p/ganeti/
- SWsoft: http://www.swsoft.com
- OpenVZ: http://openvz.org/
- openQRM: http://www.openqrm.com
- xen-tools: http://xen-tools.org
Buy this article as PDF
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.
A major setback for the Linux desktop.
Improved support for GPU in virtualization.
News site for the openSUSE community falls victim to a Wordpress exploit.
The source code is available online.