How hacking got easy
To protect your systems, you must familiarize yourself with the tools that will be used against them. For example, the attack against AWStats is blocked on Fedora Core 9 when SELinux is in enforcing mode (the default). Metasploit isn't the first, nor is it the most powerful, exploit framework available. Tools such as Core Impact and Immunity Canvas, which include up-to-date exploits, are available as well as commercial support. Other sites, such as Packet Storm and Milw0rm, also make large amounts of exploit code available. Part of a strong defense is a good offense.
- "DNS Attacks" by Kurt Seifried, Linux Magazine, October 2008: http://www.linux-magazine.com/issues/2008/95/dns_attacks
- Metasploit: http://www.metasploit.com/
- Immunity Canvas: http://www.immunitysec.com/products-canvas.shtml
- Core Impact: http://www.coresecurity.com/
- Packetstorm: http://packetstormsecurity.org/
- Milw0rm: http://www.milw0rm.com/
Buy this article as PDF
Powerful man-in-the-middle attack is now targeting online shopping.
Another high-profile coder says the kernel team needs a kinder, gentler culture.
Bug database has a bug of its own that could allow an intruder to create an unauthorized account.
Report focuses federal resources on achieving universal Internet access.
Leading browser makers say “no” to porous encryption algorithm
Report from the X-Force group says attackers are using TOR to hide their crimes
Future Firefox extensions will be compatible with Chrome.
Better read this if you bought your computer before 2011
Users should upgrade to the new version as soon as possible
Xen project announces a privilege escalation problem for Qemu host systems