We pick the top ten Top tools
Still Number 1: Top
Despite all the advantages of the programs we just looked at, the Linux Magazine jury's favorite is the legacy and legendary Unix tool Top by William LeFebvre and others.
Top is installed everywhere, it is comprehensively documented, and it gives you the more or less identical controls and behavior on any conceivable Unix and on BSD, Linux, many embedded systems, and Mac OS X. The tool, which has been an administrative evergreen since 1984, runs on mainframes, workstations, desktops, and clusters.
Version 3.7, or Beta 3.8 of unixtop, is available for download . But who needs to download when your favorite distribution already includes the tool and even installs it as part of the minimal installation?
Administrators will be familiar with the various switches, options, and parameters. The man page fills several screens – again thanks to the number of operating systems Top supports.
Any Linux or Unix book that covers system administration provides at least a few pages on the essential Top utility. The original Top is still number one today, but the winner shouldn't get complacent: Talented newcomers – some of them specialists, others simply modern clones of the original – are getting closer to center stage. Htop, for instance, is shaping up nicely.
- Xrestop: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xrestop
- X resource extension library: http://linux.die.net/man/3/xres
- Ntop: http://www.ntop.org
- Pksh: http://pksh.tecsiel.it
- ApacheTop: http://spork.qfe3.net/apachetop/
- Ptop: http://ptop.projects.postgresql.org
- Ptop screenshots: http://ptop.projects.postgresql.org/screenshots
- Dnstop: http://dns.measurement-factory.com/tools/dnstop
- Iftop: http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/iftop
- Iftop manual: http://www.fifi.org/cgi-bin/man2html/usr/share/man/man8/iftop.8.gz
- Mytop: http://jeremy.zawodny.com/mysql/mytop
- PowerTop by Lesswatts.org: http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop
- Atop: http://www.atcomputing.nl/Tools/atop
- Htop: http://htop.sourceforge.net
- Top: http://sourceforge.net/projects/unixtop
Buy this article as PDF
Both projects help organizations build their own containerized systems.
Mark Shuttleworth has resumed the position of CEO of Canonical.
Microsoft's open source code hosting platform CodePlex will come to an end after a more than 10-year stint.
Comes with Gnome 3.24
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.