Configuration and change management with Bcfg2
The lively developer community that surrounds Bcfg2 integrates new designs with the system almost every week. Just recently, a new team that will be focusing on improving the documentation was founded on the mailing list . Documentation is absolutely vital because Bcfg2 requires that you know so many details of the system.
Administrators will also appreciate the tool's support for gradual migration, which removes the need for drastic changes and allows step-by-step specification of the configuration. All told, the use of Bcfg2 to configure and validate clients is a very powerful tool for anyone who is undaunted by its high level of abstraction.
- Argonne National Library, Mathematics and Computer Science Division: http://www-new.mcs.anl.gov/new
- Bcfg2: http://www.bcfg2.org
- Bcfg2 Encap packages: http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/bcfg2/wiki/EncapPackages
- Bcfg2 packages on the openSUSE Build Service: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/markojung:/bcfg2
- Bcfg2 annotated examples: http://www.bcfg2.org/wiki/AnnotatedExamples
- Bcfg2 probes: http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/bcfg2/wiki/Probes
- Cheetah template engine: http://www.cheetahtemplate.org
- Bcfg2 mailing list: mailto:<U>email@example.com<U>.gov
Buy this article as PDF
A major setback for the Linux desktop.
Improved support for GPU in virtualization.
News site for the openSUSE community falls victim to a Wordpress exploit.
The source code is available online.
One out of three virtual machines on Microsoft Azure Cloud run Linux.
The form factor of the board makes it a drop-in replacement for Raspberry Pi.
Makes it easier for customers to move workloads into container-centric applications.
SUSE’s answer to container-centric operating systems.
Linux 4.9 is the biggest release in terms of number of commits.
The latest version of the official RHEL clone is here.