Network access control on wired networks with IEEE 802.1X
The last step for the administrator is to set the RADIUS server to production mode: enable the init script using service freeradius start, and type chkconfig freeradius on to set up the server to use the same start procedure when rebooted.
The components for device-based authentication of terminal devices exist in many environments. It is up to the administrator to combine those components.
For some people, Network Access Control includes additional aspects, such as technical validation of version status or up-to-date virus signatures, in line with a security policy. NAC offers a number of customization options: Besides LDAP or SQL database integration, more complex environments might want to deploy a PKI with the use of Tiny CA , for example. Smartcards such as the Aladdin E-Token protect private user certificates.
IPv6 is supported with FreeRADIUS Version 2 or later; however, some 802.1X-capable switches might not comply. If you are experimenting with IKEv2, check out the project's experimental.conf.
An identically named SourceForge project is also researching IKEv2 . Thanks to the Hostapd project , administrators can soon look forward to a new implementation of EAP in FreeRADIUS known as EAP2.
- IEEE 802.1x-2004: http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1x-2004.html
- RFC 5216, "EAP-TLS Authentication Protocol": http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5216.txt
- Cisco 802.1x Guide: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sg/configuration/guide/dot1x.html
- FreeRADIUS Wiki on Cisco IOS commands: http://wiki.freeradius.org/Cisco
- FreeRADIUS Project: http://freeradius.org
- FreeRADIUS at GitHub: http://github.com/Antti/freeradius-server/tree/master
- OpenSEA: http://openseaalliance.org
- Open1X project: http://open1x.sf.net
- WPA supplicant: http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/
- Tiny CA: http://tinyca.sm-zone.net
- EAP-IKEv2 project on Sourceforge: http://eap-ikev2.sf.net
- EAP modes supported by FreeRADIUS: http://freeradius.org/features/eap.html
Founder of ownCloud launches the Nextcloud project.
Will The Machine change the way future programmers think about memory?
The new Torus distributed storage system is available under an open source license on GitHub
Juries decides Google’s use of Java APIs Was Fair Use
But if you are not using the latest Linux kernel, your system is insecure.
Home routers will give room for custom firmware but still comply with FCC rules
Frank Karlitschek will continue to lead the open source ownCloud project
“Xenial Xerus” comes with a new packages format and several improvements for the enterprise.
Linux users can now download and install the Windows code editor
New initiative will address security and interoperability concerns around container technology.