Network access control on wired networks with IEEE 802.1X
The last step for the administrator is to set the RADIUS server to production mode: enable the init script using service freeradius start, and type chkconfig freeradius on to set up the server to use the same start procedure when rebooted.
The components for device-based authentication of terminal devices exist in many environments. It is up to the administrator to combine those components.
For some people, Network Access Control includes additional aspects, such as technical validation of version status or up-to-date virus signatures, in line with a security policy. NAC offers a number of customization options: Besides LDAP or SQL database integration, more complex environments might want to deploy a PKI with the use of Tiny CA , for example. Smartcards such as the Aladdin E-Token protect private user certificates.
IPv6 is supported with FreeRADIUS Version 2 or later; however, some 802.1X-capable switches might not comply. If you are experimenting with IKEv2, check out the project's experimental.conf.
An identically named SourceForge project is also researching IKEv2 . Thanks to the Hostapd project , administrators can soon look forward to a new implementation of EAP in FreeRADIUS known as EAP2.
- IEEE 802.1x-2004: http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1x-2004.html
- RFC 5216, "EAP-TLS Authentication Protocol": http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5216.txt
- Cisco 802.1x Guide: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sg/configuration/guide/dot1x.html
- FreeRADIUS Wiki on Cisco IOS commands: http://wiki.freeradius.org/Cisco
- FreeRADIUS Project: http://freeradius.org
- FreeRADIUS at GitHub: http://github.com/Antti/freeradius-server/tree/master
- OpenSEA: http://openseaalliance.org
- Open1X project: http://open1x.sf.net
- WPA supplicant: http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/
- Tiny CA: http://tinyca.sm-zone.net
- EAP-IKEv2 project on Sourceforge: http://eap-ikev2.sf.net
- EAP modes supported by FreeRADIUS: http://freeradius.org/features/eap.html
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.
A major setback for the Linux desktop.
Improved support for GPU in virtualization.
News site for the openSUSE community falls victim to a Wordpress exploit.
The source code is available online.