On the DVD
On the DVD
This month's DVD features two terrific distributions, ArtistX 1.5 and Arch Linux 2013.10.01.
Arch Linux is a "lightweight and flexible Linux distribution that tries to Keep it Simple" . The developers designed Arch on five core principles : simplicity, code correctness and elegance, user-centric control and responsibility, openness, and freedom. Arch installs with a minimal base system, upon which users build their environments by installing only the tools and programs they need. The minimalist nature of Arch, emphasis on user control, and preference for the command line appeals to more advanced users, but a comprehensive wiki  and beginner's guide  smooth the way for anyone who would like to try this elegant, community-driven distro.
- Release 2013.10.01
- Kernel 3.11.2
- systemd init
- Pacman package manager
- Rolling release
ArtistX is a Live distro based on Ubuntu 13.0.4 (without Unity) that "turns a computer into a full multimedia production studio" . With around 2,500 multimedia software packages  and 5,000 binaries, ArtistX is a multimedia studio on a disc for amateur or professional digital and audio artists. After sampling the distro on the Live DVD, you can install it to disk or USB stick .
- Version 1.5 based on kernel 3.8
- Gnome 3.6
- 3D engine and development software
- 3D modeling and animation software
- Audio DJ, synth, and editing packages
- CAD, DVD mastering, and TV software
Defective discs will be replaced. Please send email to mailto:email@example.com.
- Arch Linux: https://www.archlinux.org/
- The Arch Way: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way
- Arch wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
- Arch Beginners' Guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide
- ArtistX: http://artistx.org/blog/
- ArtistX software: http://artistx.org/blog/software/
- ArtistX installation: http://artistx.org/blog/install-artistx-to-your-hard-disk/
Buy this article as PDF
New partnership will bring more and better CS training to US schools
Criminals offer online help over Tor network
Sophisticated malware is still present on Joomla and WordPress sites around the world.
Future versions of Ubuntu's code service will support the popular Git version control system used with Linux and other open source projects.
New release marks the arrival of AMD’s unified driver strategy.
A new study by IDC charts big changes in the big hardware market.
Azure CTO says Redmond has already considered the unthinkable.
Lead developer quells rumors that the Debian version is slated for center stage.
MSBuild is now just another GitHub project as Redmond continues its path to the light.
Malware could pass data and commands between disconnected computers without leaving a trace on the network.