On the DVD
On the DVD
This month's DVD features two terrific distributions, ArtistX 1.5 and Arch Linux 2013.10.01.
Arch Linux is a "lightweight and flexible Linux distribution that tries to Keep it Simple" . The developers designed Arch on five core principles : simplicity, code correctness and elegance, user-centric control and responsibility, openness, and freedom. Arch installs with a minimal base system, upon which users build their environments by installing only the tools and programs they need. The minimalist nature of Arch, emphasis on user control, and preference for the command line appeals to more advanced users, but a comprehensive wiki  and beginner's guide  smooth the way for anyone who would like to try this elegant, community-driven distro.
- Release 2013.10.01
- Kernel 3.11.2
- systemd init
- Pacman package manager
- Rolling release
ArtistX is a Live distro based on Ubuntu 13.0.4 (without Unity) that "turns a computer into a full multimedia production studio" . With around 2,500 multimedia software packages  and 5,000 binaries, ArtistX is a multimedia studio on a disc for amateur or professional digital and audio artists. After sampling the distro on the Live DVD, you can install it to disk or USB stick .
- Version 1.5 based on kernel 3.8
- Gnome 3.6
- 3D engine and development software
- 3D modeling and animation software
- Audio DJ, synth, and editing packages
- CAD, DVD mastering, and TV software
Defective discs will be replaced. Please send email to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Arch Linux: https://www.archlinux.org/
- The Arch Way: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way
- Arch wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
- Arch Beginners' Guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide
- ArtistX: http://artistx.org/blog/
- ArtistX software: http://artistx.org/blog/software/
- ArtistX installation: http://artistx.org/blog/install-artistx-to-your-hard-disk/
Buy this article as PDF
Founder of ownCloud launches the Nextcloud project.
Will The Machine change the way future programmers think about memory?
The new Torus distributed storage system is available under an open source license on GitHub
Juries decides Google’s use of Java APIs Was Fair Use
But if you are not using the latest Linux kernel, your system is insecure.
Home routers will give room for custom firmware but still comply with FCC rules
Frank Karlitschek will continue to lead the open source ownCloud project
“Xenial Xerus” comes with a new packages format and several improvements for the enterprise.
Linux users can now download and install the Windows code editor
New initiative will address security and interoperability concerns around container technology.