On the DVD
On the DVD
This month's DVD features two terrific distributions, ArtistX 1.5 and Arch Linux 2013.10.01.
Arch Linux is a "lightweight and flexible Linux distribution that tries to Keep it Simple" . The developers designed Arch on five core principles : simplicity, code correctness and elegance, user-centric control and responsibility, openness, and freedom. Arch installs with a minimal base system, upon which users build their environments by installing only the tools and programs they need. The minimalist nature of Arch, emphasis on user control, and preference for the command line appeals to more advanced users, but a comprehensive wiki  and beginner's guide  smooth the way for anyone who would like to try this elegant, community-driven distro.
- Release 2013.10.01
- Kernel 3.11.2
- systemd init
- Pacman package manager
- Rolling release
ArtistX is a Live distro based on Ubuntu 13.0.4 (without Unity) that "turns a computer into a full multimedia production studio" . With around 2,500 multimedia software packages  and 5,000 binaries, ArtistX is a multimedia studio on a disc for amateur or professional digital and audio artists. After sampling the distro on the Live DVD, you can install it to disk or USB stick .
- Version 1.5 based on kernel 3.8
- Gnome 3.6
- 3D engine and development software
- 3D modeling and animation software
- Audio DJ, synth, and editing packages
- CAD, DVD mastering, and TV software
Defective discs will be replaced. Please send email to mailto:email@example.com.
- Arch Linux: https://www.archlinux.org/
- The Arch Way: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way
- Arch wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
- Arch Beginners' Guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide
- ArtistX: http://artistx.org/blog/
- ArtistX software: http://artistx.org/blog/software/
- ArtistX installation: http://artistx.org/blog/install-artistx-to-your-hard-disk/
Buy this article as PDF
Report from the X-Force group says attackers are using TOR to hide their crimes
Future Firefox extensions will be compatible with Chrome.
Better read this if you bought your computer before 2011
Users should upgrade to the new version as soon as possible
Xen project announces a privilege escalation problem for Qemu host systems
Attackers can compromise an Android phone just by sending a text message
PC vendor will pre-install Ubuntu on portables in India.
More embarrassment for Adobe's embattled multimedia tool
Mozilla’s script blocker add-on could be putting malware sites on the whitelist.
The Internet community officially banishes the notoriously unsafe Secure Sockets Layer protocol.