Issue #11: Google Special / May 2011
Cover Theme: Google
DVD: Peppermint OS
Download this issue as a PDF:
The innovators at Google have assembled an impressive collection of free tools for working, exploring, collaborating, and distributing information on the web. This Google Special Edition takes a close look at the tools of the Google environment.
Google tools examined in this issue include Google+, SketchUp, Docs, Calendar, Groups, Reader, Earth, Chart, photo tools, Checkout, Sites, Gears, Blogger, Web Toolkit, Maps API, Gadgets, AdSense, and more!
The Google Life: Google envisions a whole way of life centered around online services available in a browser window. We’ll introduce you to the exciting new Google+ social networking tool and show you around the Google universe.
- Introduction: Google provides an impressive collection of free tools for working, exploring, collaborating, and distributing information on the web. Find out how to make the most of the Google environment.
- Google+: Wave goodbye to old social media paradigms and say hello to Google+ Circles.
- Google+ with Business: Now that Google+ has been released into the wild, find out what this new social media network can do for your business.
- Google Docs: Your documents, spreadsheets, and presentations are always available on the web with Google’s productivity suite.
- Groups: Build community with a custom discussion group. We show you how to create your own online group in minutes.
- Calendar: Manage your schedule in the cloud, share your appointments, subscribe to other calendars, and embed your calendar in other Google apps.
- Reader: Google Reader collects the lowdown on your favorite topics.
- Mobile Tools: Google provides a handy collection of tools that make your smart devices smarter.
- Google Earth: Explore the Earth, sky, Moon, Mars, and more.
- SketchUp: Build 3D models online with this handy drawing tool.
- Chart: This powerful API helps you out when pictures will speak louder than words.
- Photo Tools: Google keeps adding to its store of fabulous tools to feed your photography fetish.
- Checkout: Ease into the express lane with Google Checkout.
- Sites: Create a collaborative website the easy way.
- Blogger: Enhance your online presence with a personal blog.
- Maps API: Incorporate interactive maps into your web pages with the Google Maps API.
- Gadgets: Dress up your site with a few of these free gadgets.
- Webmaster Tools: Help your site achieve a higher rank in Google’s search index.
- AdSense: Earn money by adding advertisements to your website.
Mozilla’s product think tank sinks silently into history.
TODO group will focus on open source tools in large-scale environments.
New tool will look like GParted but support a wider range of storage technologies.
New public key pinning feature will help prevent man-in-the-middle attacks.
Carnegie Mellon researchers say 3 million pages could fall down the phishing hole in the next year.
The US government rolls new best-practice rules for protecting SSH.
Klaus Knopper announces the latest version of his iconic Live Linux system.
DARPA and NICTA release the code for the ultra-secure microkernel system used in aerial drones.