The next generation: Mozilla Firefox 3
Firefox 3 made a good impression with new features, such as improved phishing protection (Figure 6) and easier installation of add-ons that do not originate from Mozilla's add-on page. The developers have introduced further improvements with Beta 4 . Firefox 3 looks likely to have support for the Internet keys on multimedia keyboards and will have improved support for Gnome session management.
Overall, Firefox 3 is a critical component of the Linux desktop. In the future, the software will integrate almost seamlessly, at the same time adding a number of convenient functions. Users who prefer the KDE desktop will be disappointed – Firefox is yet another project that has decided in favor of Gtk.
- Firefox roadmap: http://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseRoadmap
- Firefox download: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html
- Places system: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Places
- Places API: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Places
- Acid2 browser test: http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
- Cairo (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_(graphics)#Mozilla
- Mozilla and Qt: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=297788
- Nightly builds: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nighly/latest-trunk/
- Firefox with Gtk pring dialog: http://ventorsblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/print-me-print-me-print-me-man-after.html
- CSS performance test: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/csstest.html
- Load Time Analyzer: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3371
- Test table: http://howtocreate.co.uk/jslibs/oldindex.php
- JS performance test: http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html
- Firefox Beta 4: http://ventnorsblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/beta-4-quickies.html
Buy this article as PDF
Report from the X-Force group says attackers are using TOR to hide their crimes
Future Firefox extensions will be compatible with Chrome.
Better read this if you bought your computer before 2011
Users should upgrade to the new version as soon as possible
Xen project announces a privilege escalation problem for Qemu host systems
Attackers can compromise an Android phone just by sending a text message
PC vendor will pre-install Ubuntu on portables in India.
More embarrassment for Adobe's embattled multimedia tool
Mozilla’s script blocker add-on could be putting malware sites on the whitelist.
The Internet community officially banishes the notoriously unsafe Secure Sockets Layer protocol.