The next generation: Mozilla Firefox 3
Firefox 3 made a good impression with new features, such as improved phishing protection (Figure 6) and easier installation of add-ons that do not originate from Mozilla's add-on page. The developers have introduced further improvements with Beta 4 . Firefox 3 looks likely to have support for the Internet keys on multimedia keyboards and will have improved support for Gnome session management.
Overall, Firefox 3 is a critical component of the Linux desktop. In the future, the software will integrate almost seamlessly, at the same time adding a number of convenient functions. Users who prefer the KDE desktop will be disappointed – Firefox is yet another project that has decided in favor of Gtk.
- Firefox roadmap: http://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseRoadmap
- Firefox download: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html
- Places system: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Places
- Places API: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Places
- Acid2 browser test: http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
- Cairo (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_(graphics)#Mozilla
- Mozilla and Qt: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=297788
- Nightly builds: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nighly/latest-trunk/
- Firefox with Gtk pring dialog: http://ventorsblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/print-me-print-me-print-me-man-after.html
- CSS performance test: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/csstest.html
- Load Time Analyzer: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3371
- Test table: http://howtocreate.co.uk/jslibs/oldindex.php
- JS performance test: http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html
- Firefox Beta 4: http://ventnorsblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/beta-4-quickies.html
Buy this article as PDF
A new study says it is possible to unmask 81% of TOR users.
Redmond joins the revolution by turning the .NET Core Runtime into a GitHub project.
Users only had 7 hours to update before the intrusions started.
It's official: The new web arrives
New flaw in an old encryption scheme leaves the experts scrambling to disable SSL 3
Lennart Poettering wants to change the way Linux developers talk to each other.
Enterprise giant frees itself from ink and home PCs (and visa versa).
Mozilla’s product think tank sinks silently into history.
TODO group will focus on open source tools in large-scale environments.