Configuration and change management with Bcfg2
The lively developer community that surrounds Bcfg2 integrates new designs with the system almost every week. Just recently, a new team that will be focusing on improving the documentation was founded on the mailing list . Documentation is absolutely vital because Bcfg2 requires that you know so many details of the system.
Administrators will also appreciate the tool's support for gradual migration, which removes the need for drastic changes and allows step-by-step specification of the configuration. All told, the use of Bcfg2 to configure and validate clients is a very powerful tool for anyone who is undaunted by its high level of abstraction.
- Argonne National Library, Mathematics and Computer Science Division: http://www-new.mcs.anl.gov/new
- Bcfg2: http://www.bcfg2.org
- Bcfg2 Encap packages: http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/bcfg2/wiki/EncapPackages
- Bcfg2 packages on the openSUSE Build Service: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/markojung:/bcfg2
- Bcfg2 annotated examples: http://www.bcfg2.org/wiki/AnnotatedExamples
- Bcfg2 probes: http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/bcfg2/wiki/Probes
- Cheetah template engine: http://www.cheetahtemplate.org
- Bcfg2 mailing list: mailto:<U>firstname.lastname@example.org<U>.gov
Vulnerability affects many Linux web servers
Donors will get to vote on new features for the free video editor.
Debian project puts init out to pasture and says no to Ubuntu's Upstart.
Ultra-sophisticated attack tool might have originated from a state-sponsored intelligence service.
New alternative for init comes with a small footprint and minimal configuration.
X marks the target for the next-generation windowing system.
Super-clone CentOS Linux gets beamed up to the mother ship.
HTML technology will enable new video editing and playback options.