The latest DVD in our sixpack series delivers a smart collection of the leading Ubuntu variants. Boot this disc and sample the new Ubuntu 11.10 release with any of the following distros:
- Ubuntu – The most recent release of the main Ubuntu line
- Kubuntu – Many users prefer this KDE version of Ubuntu.
- Lubuntu – A steady and stable ‘buntu that uses the LXDE desktop and specializes in low-spec hardware.
- Xubuntu – This light and lively variant, which features the Xfce desktop, also shines on legacy systems.
- Mythbuntu – A specialty distro for MythTV media center systems.
- Ubuntu Rescue Remix – Command-line-only distro designed for troubleshooting downed Linux and Windows computers.
November 2011: DVD Inlay Issue #132Sep 23, 2011 Sep 23, 2011
This issue’s DVD comes with the BackTrack 5 R1  pen test distribution. BackTrack provides a great collection of pen testing and security auditing tools. You can boot into BackTrack Live from the DVD or install BackTrack permanently on your hard disk.more »
This month’s Linux Magazine DVD features the brand new Knoppix 6.7 Live distro  . With its clever on-the-fly decompression, Knoppix manages to store 9GB of software on a single-layer DVD.more »
October 2011: DVD Inlay Issue #131Sep 02, 2011
September 2011: DVD Inlay Issue #130Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011
With this month’s Linux Magazine DVD, you can test Mageia 1, the first release of a Mandriva fork begun in 2010. With a choice of desktops, such as KDE SC 4.6.3, Gnome 2.32, Xfce 4.8.1, and LXDE, you can tailor Mageia’s look and functionality to suit your needs.more »
MSBuild is now just another GitHub project as Redmond continues its path to the light.
Malware could pass data and commands between disconnected computers without leaving a trace on the network.
New rules emphasize collegiality in coding.
Upstart lands in the dust bin as a new era begins for Linux.
HP's annual Cyber Risk report offers a bleak look at the state of IT.
But what do the big numbers really mean?
.NET Core execution engine is the basis for cross-platform .NET implementations.
The Xnote trojan hides itself on the target system and will launch a variety of attacks on command.
Spammers go low-volume, and 90% of IE browsers are unpatched.
Adobe scrambles to release patches for vulnerable Flash Player.