Investigating Windows systems with Linux
With the addition of a couple of extra packages, the Windows world is wide open to an investigator running Linux. If you need more of this good thing, take a look at the free forensic tools by Foundstone . These tools give investigators the ability to restore cookies, long-gone entries from the Windows trash can, and many other things.
Experienced Linux users might find the shell approach refreshing, but some users will prefer to avoid the complex command-line syntax. The learning curve for Linux newcomers will likely be steeper for open source tools compared with more expensive commercial products. The winner in the usability stakes has to be the fully automated Ophcrack Live CD, which removes the need for users to type pesky shell commands and displays the local user's Windows passwords shortly after booting.
When we tested this on an XP system (SP2), the CD took just 280 seconds to discover the credentials of the five user accounts (which included up to 14 characters; see Figure 5). The live Linux version on the CD includes just the tables for alphanumeric passwords without non-standard characters. If you want more, you will have to invest in the commercial Rainbow Tables.
- Guidance Software: http://www.guidancesoftware.com
- X-Ways: http://www.x-ways.net/corporate/index-m.html
- Ewfacquire: https://www.uitwisselplatform.nl/projects/libewf
- Helix: http://www.e-fense.com/helix
- Endianness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness
- The Sleuth Kit: http://sleuthkit.org
- Wikipedia on file slack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File-Slack
- bmap: http://www.packetstormsecurity.org/linux/security/bmap-1.0.17.tar.gz
- File slack analysis on Linux: http://www.woerter.at/dud/stuff/fileslack.pdf
- Pasco download: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/odessa/pasco_20040505_1.tar.gz?modtime=1083715200&big_mirror=0
- Mork.pl: http://www.jwz.org/hacks/mork.pl
- Dumphive: http://v4.guadalinex.org/guadalinex-toro/pool/main/d/dumphive/dumphive_0.0.3-1_i386.deb
- Ophcrack and Ophcrack Live CD: http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net
- Foundstone Forensic Tools: http://www.foundstone.com/us/resources-free-tools.asp
Buy this article as PDF
Both projects help organizations build their own containerized systems.
Mark Shuttleworth has resumed the position of CEO of Canonical.
Microsoft's open source code hosting platform CodePlex will come to an end after a more than 10-year stint.
Comes with Gnome 3.24
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.