Carving tools help you recover deleted files
If the filesystem is not completely destroyed, tools that evaluate the filesystem provide an important alternative to tools such as Foremost and Scalpel. The PhotoRec  recovery tool was developed by Christophe Grenier to rescue photos from corrupt Flash memory. PhotoRec will also work if the partition table is damaged.
Once PhotoRec has identified the filesystem, it extracts an enormous variety of file types. In addition to photo files, PhotoRec also restores EXE or ZIP files.
All told, the tool supports more than 180 file types. The program is controlled by means of a practical text menu, which reduces the danger of user errors. Unfortunately, PhotoRec cannot current analyze RAM dumps or swap files.
File carvers help forensic investigators extract deleted files. Foremost and Scalpel ignore the filesystem and can even restore data from RAM dumps and swap files. Their speed is quite amazing.
If the filesystem still exists, a tool such as PhotoRec is also useful for finding lost files.
- The Coroner's Toolkit: http://www.porcupine.org/forensics/tct.html
- The Sleuth Kit: http://www.sleuthkit.org
- Foremost: http://foremost.sf.net
- Scalpel: http://www.digitalforensicssolutions.com/Scalpel/
- PhotoRec: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
- FTimes: http://ftimes.sourceforge.net/FTimes/
- Foremost on the Forensics Wiki: http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Foremost
- OCFA, The carve path zero-storage library and filesystem: http://ocfa.sourceforge.net/libcarvpath/
- DFRWS carving challenge: http://www.dfrws.org/2006/challenge/
Buy this article as PDF
Both projects help organizations build their own containerized systems.
Mark Shuttleworth has resumed the position of CEO of Canonical.
Microsoft's open source code hosting platform CodePlex will come to an end after a more than 10-year stint.
Comes with Gnome 3.24
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.