Exploring alternatives to MythTV
Despite the omnipresence and professional stance of the two major league media center projects, MythTV and VDR, practical and attractive alternatives are available (see Table 1). Elisa convinces with both its look and technology, and its easy configuration is unbeaten in the field. The lack of TV support and its showy visuals, which seem to be modeled on Apple products, might tip the user's decision in favor of a competitor in some cases.
Freevo is almost too feature rich, and the plethora of options means a steep learning curve for users. After negotiating it, the system rewards you with an array of online video sources, remote control options, a sophisticated client-server design, and add-ins.
GeeXboX is simpler and easy to configure. The approach of using a customized Live CD gives a second lease on life to older hardware and lends itself to new applications, such as embedded players or self-starting video media.
- Wikipedia on MPEG4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Patent_licensing
- Medibuntu project: http://www.medibuntu.org
- Codecs for openSUSE: http://opensuse-community.org/Multimedia
- Fluendo codec shop : https://shop.fluendo.com
- Elisa wiki for Ubuntu: http://elisa.fluendo.com/wiki/Distribution/LinuxPackages/Ubuntu
- Elisa for openSUSE: http://www.susegeek.com/media-player/elisa-open-media-center-multimedia-player-for-opensuse-linux/
- Elisa Portal: http://elisa.fluendo.com
- Freevo: http://freevo.sourceforge.net
- Discussion on EPG in Freevo: http://www.mail-archive.com/<U>firstname.lastname@example.org<U>/msg16287.html
- Freevo documentation: http://doc.freevo.org/Plugins
- Freevo Live CD: http://freevolive.tuxfamily.org
- GParted Live: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
- GeeXboX project: http://geexbox.org
- Channel list: http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Syntax_of_channels.conf
- w_scan: http://edafe.org/vdr/w_scan/
- DVB-S transponders: http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvb-apps/util/scan/dvb-s/
Buy this article as PDF
New release targets Linux professionals.
The Fedora project adds Wayland and Gnome 3.22
CeBIT 2017: Open Source Forum Call for Papers
Long-time Linux antagonist joins the revolution.
Major bug affects Debian/Ubuntu distributions.
Canonical releases the minimal edition for embedded devices, Internet of Things, and cloud deployments.
The new release features improvements across the board, from performance to security.
Two out of three of the new members are women.
More than 5,000 people attended the event.
Linux Magazine will include the best of both magazines.