Exploring alternatives to MythTV
Despite the omnipresence and professional stance of the two major league media center projects, MythTV and VDR, practical and attractive alternatives are available (see Table 1). Elisa convinces with both its look and technology, and its easy configuration is unbeaten in the field. The lack of TV support and its showy visuals, which seem to be modeled on Apple products, might tip the user's decision in favor of a competitor in some cases.
Freevo is almost too feature rich, and the plethora of options means a steep learning curve for users. After negotiating it, the system rewards you with an array of online video sources, remote control options, a sophisticated client-server design, and add-ins.
GeeXboX is simpler and easy to configure. The approach of using a customized Live CD gives a second lease on life to older hardware and lends itself to new applications, such as embedded players or self-starting video media.
- Wikipedia on MPEG4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Patent_licensing
- Medibuntu project: http://www.medibuntu.org
- Codecs for openSUSE: http://opensuse-community.org/Multimedia
- Fluendo codec shop : https://shop.fluendo.com
- Elisa wiki for Ubuntu: http://elisa.fluendo.com/wiki/Distribution/LinuxPackages/Ubuntu
- Elisa for openSUSE: http://www.susegeek.com/media-player/elisa-open-media-center-multimedia-player-for-opensuse-linux/
- Elisa Portal: http://elisa.fluendo.com
- Freevo: http://freevo.sourceforge.net
- Discussion on EPG in Freevo: http://www.mail-archive.com/<U>email@example.com<U>/msg16287.html
- Freevo documentation: http://doc.freevo.org/Plugins
- Freevo Live CD: http://freevolive.tuxfamily.org
- GParted Live: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
- GeeXboX project: http://geexbox.org
- Channel list: http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Syntax_of_channels.conf
- w_scan: http://edafe.org/vdr/w_scan/
- DVB-S transponders: http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvb-apps/util/scan/dvb-s/
Buy this article as PDF
Innovative system adds a hard drive and Ubuntu Core to the RPi for an IoT hub.
Linux is two weeks younger than we thought!
The Apache Software Foundation considers retiring OpenOffice
Adobe won’t kill the plugin in 2017
Linux Foundation's big event celebrates the 25th anniversary of Linux
Competitors get in the game with RHEL without Red Hat
Security researchers have already notified Microsoft; some fixes are available
The company is collaborating with Google and Intel to use Kubernetes as an engine for Fuel