Exploring alternatives to MythTV
Despite the omnipresence and professional stance of the two major league media center projects, MythTV and VDR, practical and attractive alternatives are available (see Table 1). Elisa convinces with both its look and technology, and its easy configuration is unbeaten in the field. The lack of TV support and its showy visuals, which seem to be modeled on Apple products, might tip the user's decision in favor of a competitor in some cases.
Freevo is almost too feature rich, and the plethora of options means a steep learning curve for users. After negotiating it, the system rewards you with an array of online video sources, remote control options, a sophisticated client-server design, and add-ins.
GeeXboX is simpler and easy to configure. The approach of using a customized Live CD gives a second lease on life to older hardware and lends itself to new applications, such as embedded players or self-starting video media.
- Wikipedia on MPEG4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Patent_licensing
- Medibuntu project: http://www.medibuntu.org
- Codecs for openSUSE: http://opensuse-community.org/Multimedia
- Fluendo codec shop : https://shop.fluendo.com
- Elisa wiki for Ubuntu: http://elisa.fluendo.com/wiki/Distribution/LinuxPackages/Ubuntu
- Elisa for openSUSE: http://www.susegeek.com/media-player/elisa-open-media-center-multimedia-player-for-opensuse-linux/
- Elisa Portal: http://elisa.fluendo.com
- Freevo: http://freevo.sourceforge.net
- Discussion on EPG in Freevo: http://www.mail-archive.com/<U>email@example.com<U>/msg16287.html
- Freevo documentation: http://doc.freevo.org/Plugins
- Freevo Live CD: http://freevolive.tuxfamily.org
- GParted Live: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
- GeeXboX project: http://geexbox.org
- Channel list: http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Syntax_of_channels.conf
- w_scan: http://edafe.org/vdr/w_scan/
- DVB-S transponders: http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvb-apps/util/scan/dvb-s/
Buy this article as PDF
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.
A major setback for the Linux desktop.
Improved support for GPU in virtualization.
News site for the openSUSE community falls victim to a Wordpress exploit.
The source code is available online.