A USB dongle for one-time passwords
The benefits of OpenKubus include portability and the ability to customize hardware without breaking the bank. The drawback is that the stick and all the servers need to synchronize the serial number. If you need to authenticate against multiple servers, you will need a central server. Tools for managing OpenKubus in larger environments with large numbers of users are still rudimentary.
OpenKubus will not protect you against man-in-the-middle attacks . The service you are calling has to demonstrate authenticity separately. However, the project is an exciting platform for any administrator interested in experimenting.
- "One-Time Passwords" by Udo Seidel, Linux Magazine, November 2008, pg. 22
- USBprog wiring diagram: http://www.embedded-projects.net/usbprog
- Shop for OpenKubus hardware: http://shop.embedded-projects.net
- OpenKubus: http://code.google.com/p/openkubus (in German)
- Installation notes on AVR-GCC: http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html
- PAM configuration syntax: http://kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/sag-configuration-file.html
- Wrapper Generator SWIG: http://www.swig.org/
- Man-in-the-middle attacks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack
MSBuild is now just another GitHub project as Redmond continues its path to the light.
Malware could pass data and commands between disconnected computers without leaving a trace on the network.
New rules emphasize collegiality in coding.
Upstart lands in the dust bin as a new era begins for Linux.
HP's annual Cyber Risk report offers a bleak look at the state of IT.
But what do the big numbers really mean?
.NET Core execution engine is the basis for cross-platform .NET implementations.
The Xnote trojan hides itself on the target system and will launch a variety of attacks on command.
Spammers go low-volume, and 90% of IE browsers are unpatched.
Adobe scrambles to release patches for vulnerable Flash Player.