A USB dongle for one-time passwords
The benefits of OpenKubus include portability and the ability to customize hardware without breaking the bank. The drawback is that the stick and all the servers need to synchronize the serial number. If you need to authenticate against multiple servers, you will need a central server. Tools for managing OpenKubus in larger environments with large numbers of users are still rudimentary.
OpenKubus will not protect you against man-in-the-middle attacks . The service you are calling has to demonstrate authenticity separately. However, the project is an exciting platform for any administrator interested in experimenting.
- "One-Time Passwords" by Udo Seidel, Linux Magazine, November 2008, pg. 22
- USBprog wiring diagram: http://www.embedded-projects.net/usbprog
- Shop for OpenKubus hardware: http://shop.embedded-projects.net
- OpenKubus: http://code.google.com/p/openkubus (in German)
- Installation notes on AVR-GCC: http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html
- PAM configuration syntax: http://kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/sag-configuration-file.html
- Wrapper Generator SWIG: http://www.swig.org/
- Man-in-the-middle attacks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack
Four-inch-long computer on a stick lets you boot a full Linux system from any HDMI display device.
New statute would require companies to report break-ins to consumers.
Weird data transfer technique avoids all standard security measures.
FIDO alliance declares the beginning of the end for old-style login authentication.
The Linux New Media Awards have honored the most significant products, projects, people, and organizations for open source/Linux every year since 2000.
Legendary Uber-distro splits over the systemd controversy.
New LTS version offers many refinements for the Cinnamon and Mate desktops and significant improvement under the hood.
One of CeBIT’s most successful forums returns in 2015.
A new study says it is possible to unmask 81% of TOR users.
Redmond joins the revolution by turning the .NET Core Runtime into a GitHub project.