A USB dongle for one-time passwords
The benefits of OpenKubus include portability and the ability to customize hardware without breaking the bank. The drawback is that the stick and all the servers need to synchronize the serial number. If you need to authenticate against multiple servers, you will need a central server. Tools for managing OpenKubus in larger environments with large numbers of users are still rudimentary.
OpenKubus will not protect you against man-in-the-middle attacks . The service you are calling has to demonstrate authenticity separately. However, the project is an exciting platform for any administrator interested in experimenting.
- "One-Time Passwords" by Udo Seidel, Linux Magazine, November 2008, pg. 22
- USBprog wiring diagram: http://www.embedded-projects.net/usbprog
- Shop for OpenKubus hardware: http://shop.embedded-projects.net
- OpenKubus: http://code.google.com/p/openkubus (in German)
- Installation notes on AVR-GCC: http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html
- PAM configuration syntax: http://kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/sag-configuration-file.html
- Wrapper Generator SWIG: http://www.swig.org/
- Man-in-the-middle attacks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack
Founder of ownCloud launches the Nextcloud project.
Will The Machine change the way future programmers think about memory?
The new Torus distributed storage system is available under an open source license on GitHub
Juries decides Google’s use of Java APIs Was Fair Use
But if you are not using the latest Linux kernel, your system is insecure.
Home routers will give room for custom firmware but still comply with FCC rules
Frank Karlitschek will continue to lead the open source ownCloud project
“Xenial Xerus” comes with a new packages format and several improvements for the enterprise.
Linux users can now download and install the Windows code editor
New initiative will address security and interoperability concerns around container technology.