A USB dongle for one-time passwords
The benefits of OpenKubus include portability and the ability to customize hardware without breaking the bank. The drawback is that the stick and all the servers need to synchronize the serial number. If you need to authenticate against multiple servers, you will need a central server. Tools for managing OpenKubus in larger environments with large numbers of users are still rudimentary.
OpenKubus will not protect you against man-in-the-middle attacks . The service you are calling has to demonstrate authenticity separately. However, the project is an exciting platform for any administrator interested in experimenting.
- "One-Time Passwords" by Udo Seidel, Linux Magazine, November 2008, pg. 22
- USBprog wiring diagram: http://www.embedded-projects.net/usbprog
- Shop for OpenKubus hardware: http://shop.embedded-projects.net
- OpenKubus: http://code.google.com/p/openkubus (in German)
- Installation notes on AVR-GCC: http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html
- PAM configuration syntax: http://kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/sag-configuration-file.html
- Wrapper Generator SWIG: http://www.swig.org/
- Man-in-the-middle attacks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.
A major setback for the Linux desktop.
Improved support for GPU in virtualization.
News site for the openSUSE community falls victim to a Wordpress exploit.
The source code is available online.