Ubuntu 11.10 Sixpack
Ubuntu 11.10 Sixpack
The latest DVD in our sixpack series delivers a smart collection of the leading Ubuntu variants. Boot this disc and sample the new Ubuntu 11.10 release with any of the following distros:
- Ubuntu – The most recent release of the main Ubuntu line
- Kubuntu – Many users prefer this KDE version of Ubuntu.
- Lubuntu – A steady and stable ‘buntu that uses the LXDE desktop and specializes in low-spec hardware.
- Xubuntu – This light and lively variant, which features the Xfce desktop, also shines on legacy systems.
- Mythbuntu – A specialty distro for MythTV media center systems.
- Ubuntu Rescue Remix – Command-line-only distro designed for troubleshooting downed Linux and Windows computers.
Press any key as the system starts to access an easy boot menu that lets you Live boot any *buntu to test drive it before you install. For a permanent installation, just click the Install icon on the desktop.
Reaching the Boot Menu: To access the boot menu:
- Insert the DVD in the drive and reboot. If the system doesn’t boot to the DVD, check your BIOS setup menu to ensure that DVD boot is enabled.
- Select a language.
- In the boot menu, use the arrow keys to select the desired Ubuntu variant and press the Enter key.
- A subsequent screen might ask to Try or Install Ubuntu. Select Try to start the system in Live mode, which will not disturb the contents of your hard drive. Note: the specific distro you selected in Step 3 will start, even if the GUI in this step says "Try Ubuntu".
Buy this article as PDF
MSBuild is now just another GitHub project as Redmond continues its path to the light.
Malware could pass data and commands between disconnected computers without leaving a trace on the network.
New rules emphasize collegiality in coding.
Upstart lands in the dust bin as a new era begins for Linux.
HP's annual Cyber Risk report offers a bleak look at the state of IT.
But what do the big numbers really mean?
.NET Core execution engine is the basis for cross-platform .NET implementations.
The Xnote trojan hides itself on the target system and will launch a variety of attacks on command.
Spammers go low-volume, and 90% of IE browsers are unpatched.
Adobe scrambles to release patches for vulnerable Flash Player.