Ubuntu 11.10 Sixpack
Ubuntu 11.10 Sixpack
The latest DVD in our sixpack series delivers a smart collection of the leading Ubuntu variants. Boot this disc and sample the new Ubuntu 11.10 release with any of the following distros:
- Ubuntu – The most recent release of the main Ubuntu line
- Kubuntu – Many users prefer this KDE version of Ubuntu.
- Lubuntu – A steady and stable ‘buntu that uses the LXDE desktop and specializes in low-spec hardware.
- Xubuntu – This light and lively variant, which features the Xfce desktop, also shines on legacy systems.
- Mythbuntu – A specialty distro for MythTV media center systems.
- Ubuntu Rescue Remix – Command-line-only distro designed for troubleshooting downed Linux and Windows computers.
Press any key as the system starts to access an easy boot menu that lets you Live boot any *buntu to test drive it before you install. For a permanent installation, just click the Install icon on the desktop.
Reaching the Boot Menu: To access the boot menu:
- Insert the DVD in the drive and reboot. If the system doesn’t boot to the DVD, check your BIOS setup menu to ensure that DVD boot is enabled.
- Select a language.
- In the boot menu, use the arrow keys to select the desired Ubuntu variant and press the Enter key.
- A subsequent screen might ask to Try or Install Ubuntu. Select Try to start the system in Live mode, which will not disturb the contents of your hard drive. Note: the specific distro you selected in Step 3 will start, even if the GUI in this step says "Try Ubuntu".
Buy this article as PDF
Both projects help organizations build their own containerized systems.
Mark Shuttleworth has resumed the position of CEO of Canonical.
Microsoft's open source code hosting platform CodePlex will come to an end after a more than 10-year stint.
Comes with Gnome 3.24
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.