Software updates and TUF
You can no longer assume downloading unsigned software is safe. Between programs like FinFisher and the verified incidents of widespread BGP route hacking, it is best to assume that even if you are not targeted by attackers, you might get caught up in a widespread attack. Relying on HTTPS isn't a safe bet anymore, because certificate authorities can issue fake certificates to government departments so that they can intercept SSL communications. What is needed is end-to-end signing of the data, as well as signed metadata – all of which TUF provides.
- FinFisher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FinFisher
- OpenSSL website compromised: http://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_hack.txt
- TUF – The Update Framework: https://github.com/theupdateframework
- Tor: https://www.torproject.org/
- Survivable key compromise: http://freehaven.net/~arma/tuf-ccs2010.pdf
- OpenGPG card: http://www.g10code.de/p-card.html
- PEP 458: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0458/
- TUF interface for RubyGems: http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2013-November/007044.html
- Targeted Internet traffic misdirection: http://www.renesys.com/2013/11/mitm-internet-hijacking/
- Further improving digital certificate security: http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.ca/2013/12/further-improving-digital-certificate.html
Buy this article as PDF
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.
A major setback for the Linux desktop.
Improved support for GPU in virtualization.
News site for the openSUSE community falls victim to a Wordpress exploit.
The source code is available online.