June 12-14 – Writing Open Source: The Conference
ROSE Blog: Rikki's Open Source Exchange
Registration is now open for a documentation-focused event, Write Open Source: The Conference, which will be held June 12-14 in Owen Sound, Canada. A cool $250(CAN) will get you into the event, covers airport shuttle, and includes delicious meals made from locally grown food. (That Emma Jane Hogbin knows how to throw a party... I mean, conference.)
"Well what is Writing Open Source, and how do I convince my boss to pay for it?" you ask.
- Day one: "high level" sessions by experts. Topics include:
- information architecture
- commerce, revenue models and paying the mortgage
- learning styles and documentation to match
- community management
- Day two: unconference for all projects to share their experiences
- Day three: team sprints
Writing Open Source is:
- "innovative" in the sense that docs are gaining in momentum, but there aren't a lot of cross-project initiatives yet;
- a good opportunity for your project/company to look for new authors;
- cheaper than proprietary docs conferences;
- more focused on docs than typical open source conferences;
- people from multiple communities will be very motivated to establish best practices and implement change;
- happening in Canada and the Canadian dollar is "weak" again.
Space is limited, so register soon: http://www.writingopensource.com/registercomments powered by Disqus
The bug was introduced back in 2009 and has been lurking around all this time.
The new release deprecates the sshd_config UsePrivilegeSeparation option.
Lives on as a community project
Five new systems join Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition that come with Ubuntu pre-installed.
The Skype Linux client now has almost the same capabilities that it enjoys on other platforms.
At CeBIT 2017, OpenStack Day will offer a wide range of lectures and discussions.
A major setback for the Linux desktop.
Improved support for GPU in virtualization.
News site for the openSUSE community falls victim to a Wordpress exploit.
The source code is available online.