Naughty and Nice list
ROSE Blog: Rikki's Open Source Exchange
1. Stormy's Corner: What to do with that old computer? Check out Stormy's post for some suggestions. Over Thanksgiving I snagged one of my dad's old laptops and installed the latest Ubuntu on it. Ubuntu is so amazing that it even fixed the P key that wasn't working before (or it was a Thanksgiving miracle, because it's working now). Hopefully my dear ole dad will forget I have his HP.
2. PHP Women 2010 calendar on sale now: The new calendar features the charter members of PHP Women.
3. November Gnome Journal: Check out the November 2009 Gnome Journal. All articles were contributed by women:
- Telepathy, Empathy and Mission Control 5 in GNOME 2.28
- Telepathy Overview
- The Un-Scary Screwdriver
- Where are they now? The Participants of the 2006 Women's Summer Outreach Program
- Easy Breezy Beautiful GNOME Shell
- GNOME desktop testing automation and how to use Mago
- Epiphany from a - not so experienced - user perspective
- An Interview with Leslie Hawthorn
4. CeBIT 2010 Call for Papers is now open.
5. SCALE 8x is still accepting proposals, too.
6. Dutch PHP Conference 2010: Lorna Mitchell is actively organizing this June 2010 event in Amsterdam and will be looking for more women to get involved with the event. Check back for updates as they are available, and keep your eye on our Event page for additional international open source events.
7. Full Circle Magazine: Do you prefer your tasty and refreshing Ubuntu articles online or in print? Why choose when you can have both! Issue #3 of Ubuntu User magazine starts hitting newsstands in North America this week and includes the Karmic Koala DVD. Also, issue 31 of Full Circle is available online now and includes Amber Graner's interview with Ara Pulido.
Naughty: Got some naughty friends and relatives who haven't experienced the joys of Linux and open source yet? The gift of Linux Pro Magazine or Ubuntu User will help bring peace to their desktops. Every issue includes a Linux DVD, so spread the cheer!
Nice! $3 Deal: And for a limited time, Linux Pro Magazine trial subscriptions are available for only $3! That's right – 3 issues with 3 DVDs for $3.comments powered by Disqus
Carnegie Mellon researchers say 3 million pages could fall down the phishing hole in the next year.
The US government rolls new best-practice rules for protecting SSH.
Klaus Knopper announces the latest version of his iconic Live Linux system.
All websites that use these popular CMS tools could be vulnerable to denial of service attacks if users don't install the updates.
According to a report, many potential victims of the Heartbleed attack have patched their systems, but few have cleaned up the crime scene to protect themselves from the effects of a previous intrusion.
DARPA and NICTA release the code for the ultra-secure microkernel system used in aerial drones.
Should you trust an online service to store your online passwords?
New B+ board lets you build cool things without the complication of a powered USB hub.
Redmond rushes in to root out alleged malware haven.
New initiative will bring futuristic virtual reality effects to the web surfing experience.