"Logging" In to a chroot
At this point, you'll be able to access the chroot with a command such as $ chroot /chroot/ bash, which will chroot you into the /chroot/ directory and execute bash from within it.
As I mentioned, chroot is not an inherently secure method for isolating applications. By not logging into the chroot as a privileged user such as root, and by removing any setuid and setgid binaries that run with elevated privileges, you can ensure that nothing runs as root within the chroot environment:
# find / -type f -perm +6000
Sandboxing is now easier than ever and its benefits have never been more important. Isolating badly written web applications from the underlying operating system or letting an administrator install a program without affecting the system can save both time and money. Like anything, prevention and foresight can significantly reduce the amount of work needed to maintain and fix a system long term, and sandboxing offers a practical tool to accomplish this.
- Bochs: http://bochs.sourceforge.net/
- KVM: http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki
- OpenVZ: http://openvz.org/
- QEMU: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
- User-Mode Linux: http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
- VMware Server http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
- VirtualBox: http://www.virtualbox.org/
- XEN: http://xensource.com/
- Debian chroot instructions: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-chroot
- Free VPS: http://www.freevps.com/
- Linux-VServer: http://linux-vserver.org/
- AppArmor: http://www.novell.com/linux/security/apparmor/
- SELinux: http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/
New release comes with better semantic search and improvements to Kontact.
Annual code quality report shows FOSS is more secure at all project size levels.
The Raspberry Pi Foundation has announced an even smaller version of the tiny computer that will fit into a DIMM slot.
A new class of problems lets a malicious app pre-configure an invisible privilege update.
New Hack language adds static typing and other conveniences.
New crypto policy system will offer easier configuration and more uniform security.
Ubuntu founder denounces insecurity in proprietary, close-source software blobs.
Vulnerability affects many Linux web servers
The Bavarian capital shuns Microsoft, Google, and other alternatives to implement an open source groupware solution.
Phone vendor partnerships bring Mark Shuttleworth's dream of Ubuntu on a phone a step closer to reality.