How hacking got easy
To protect your systems, you must familiarize yourself with the tools that will be used against them. For example, the attack against AWStats is blocked on Fedora Core 9 when SELinux is in enforcing mode (the default). Metasploit isn't the first, nor is it the most powerful, exploit framework available. Tools such as Core Impact and Immunity Canvas, which include up-to-date exploits, are available as well as commercial support. Other sites, such as Packet Storm and Milw0rm, also make large amounts of exploit code available. Part of a strong defense is a good offense.
- "DNS Attacks" by Kurt Seifried, Linux Magazine, October 2008: http://www.linux-magazine.com/issues/2008/95/dns_attacks
- Metasploit: http://www.metasploit.com/
- Immunity Canvas: http://www.immunitysec.com/products-canvas.shtml
- Core Impact: http://www.coresecurity.com/
- Packetstorm: http://packetstormsecurity.org/
- Milw0rm: http://www.milw0rm.com/
Buy this article as PDF
Founder of ownCloud launches the Nextcloud project.
Will The Machine change the way future programmers think about memory?
The new Torus distributed storage system is available under an open source license on GitHub
Juries decides Google’s use of Java APIs Was Fair Use
But if you are not using the latest Linux kernel, your system is insecure.
Home routers will give room for custom firmware but still comply with FCC rules
Frank Karlitschek will continue to lead the open source ownCloud project
“Xenial Xerus” comes with a new packages format and several improvements for the enterprise.
Linux users can now download and install the Windows code editor
New initiative will address security and interoperability concerns around container technology.