Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, and Ubuntu Rescue Mix
The latest installment in our Ubuntu Six Pack series comes with a smart collection of Ubuntu 11.04 variants.
6 Fabulous *buntus! Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, and Ubuntu Rescue Mix
Read full article as PDF:006-006_DVD.pdf (1.82 MB)
Articles on the new Gnome 3 Desktop and on the new Ubuntu Unity DesktopWe've had plenty of articles in magazines providing reviews of these new desktop. The reviews were great, but what I think is widely needed now is more detailed articles telling people how to use these desktops efficiently. How to customise them. How to optimise them. The biggest challenge to using these new desktops is learning how to use them quickly without going insane wasting lots of productive time experimenting.
I did a "hands-up" poll recently at a local Linux User's Group. When I say that it's a User's Group - I mean that literally - we are all business or professional people who use Linux computers to support our business and professional activities. We are not Linux Admin Gurus.
Only 10% of those present were still using the new desktops (whether that be Unity on Ubuntu 11.04, or Gnome 3 on Fedora). The remaining 90% admitted that after trying Unity or Gnome 3 for a while, they had reverted back to Gnome 2.# on Ubuntu, or changed to another desktop (e.g. FVWM and others) on Fedora.
All indicated that they would change back to the new desktop that was relevant to their Linux Distro, if they could learn enough via magazines or online to enable them to quickly become productive with the new desktops.
If Linux is going to become a main stream operating system on business PCs (not servers), then the Distro Authors must better manage User Education when they make such large fundamental product changes as recently occurred with Gnome 3 and Unity.
There you go. That's my rant for today.
ubuntu versionscan you please put the 64bit version on your discs instead of all
32bit as you have done on your discs
issue 128 is no use to me and others like me who use 64bit wether it`s
Linux or windows
Longtime litigator revives an ancient suit against IBM alleging Linux infringes on Unix copyrights.
Specialty distro keeps the focus on advanced learning.
The openSUSE Conference will be held July 18-22, 2013, at the Olympic Museum in Thessaloniki, Greece.
Security breached at home sites of the CMS project.
Lead Java developer vows policy changes and more attention to fixing problems.
Vendor D-Wave scores big with a sale to NASA's Quantum Intelligence Lab.
Many package updates and Steam integration highlight the latest from the Mandriva-based community Linux.
Richard Stallman calls for the W3C to remain independent of vendor interests.
The new release supports nine architectures, 73 human languages, and zero non-Free components.
Fedora developers release the first alpha version of Fedora 19, known as Schrödinger’s Cat, for general testing. The final release is expected in July 2013.