On the DVD
On the DVD
The DVD attached to this issue brings you two great new distros: Knoppix 7.2 and Fedora 19.
- Considered by some to be the “Best Live Distro on Earth,” Knoppix is the ultimate sys admin tool – a full-featured system packed with troubleshooting apps that boots and runs from the DVD drive.
- The Red Hat-sponsored Fedora is a free Linux with many of the same tools and packages found in Red Hat's enterprise editions.
Knoppix 7.2.0 – Best Live Distro!
Knoppix is the ultimate sys admin tool – a full-featured system packed with troubleshooting apps that boots and runs from the DVD drive. The latest version comes with kernel version 3.9.6 and Xorg 7.7 (core 1.12.4) to support modern computer hardware. The
knoppix64 boot option runs the 64-bit kernel. Knoppix boots into LXDE by default, but you can reach the KDE 4.8.4 (boot option
knoppix desktop=kde) and Gnome 3.4.2 (
knoppix desktop=gnome) desktops as well . You'll also find experimental support for UEFI Boot after installation to a USB flash drive .
Fedora 19 – Brand New!
The Red Hat-sponsored Fedora is a free Linux with many of the same tools and packages found in Red Hat's enterprise editions. The Fedora Project  continues to improve the Anaconda installer, which now supports installation for advanced storage. Sporting kernel version 3.9.0, Fedora 19 defaults to a Live Gnome 3 desktop . The boot process now tailors itself to your computer hardware, so you should start seeing faster boot times. Also featured in Fedora 19: LibreOffice 4.0, improved support for VoIP and broadband, new firewall features, and consistent naming of network devices .
Defective discs will be replaced. Please send an email to mailto:email@example.com.
- Knoppix: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
- Knoppix release notes: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix720-en.html
- Knoppix forums: http://knoppix.net/forum/
- Fedora: http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora
- Fedora release notes: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Release_Notes/index.html
- Fedora forums: https://ask.fedoraproject.org/questions/
Buy this article as PDF
Popular desktop environment continues the Gnome 2 legacy – with new support for the Gnome 3 toolkit.
The Obama White House has issued a memorandum telling all US government agencies they must use HTTPS for all websites and web communication.
New program will dial up security for the Firefox browser.
Red Hat's community distro embraces the cloud.
New partnership will bring more and better CS training to US schools
Criminals offer online help over Tor network
Sophisticated malware is still present on Joomla and WordPress sites around the world.
Future versions of Ubuntu's code service will support the popular Git version control system used with Linux and other open source projects.
New release marks the arrival of AMD’s unified driver strategy.
A new study by IDC charts big changes in the big hardware market.