On the DVD
On the DVD
The DVD attached to this issue brings you two great new distros: Knoppix 7.2 and Fedora 19.
- Considered by some to be the “Best Live Distro on Earth,” Knoppix is the ultimate sys admin tool – a full-featured system packed with troubleshooting apps that boots and runs from the DVD drive.
- The Red Hat-sponsored Fedora is a free Linux with many of the same tools and packages found in Red Hat's enterprise editions.
Knoppix 7.2.0 – Best Live Distro!
Knoppix is the ultimate sys admin tool – a full-featured system packed with troubleshooting apps that boots and runs from the DVD drive. The latest version comes with kernel version 3.9.6 and Xorg 7.7 (core 1.12.4) to support modern computer hardware. The
knoppix64 boot option runs the 64-bit kernel. Knoppix boots into LXDE by default, but you can reach the KDE 4.8.4 (boot option
knoppix desktop=kde) and Gnome 3.4.2 (
knoppix desktop=gnome) desktops as well . You'll also find experimental support for UEFI Boot after installation to a USB flash drive .
Fedora 19 – Brand New!
The Red Hat-sponsored Fedora is a free Linux with many of the same tools and packages found in Red Hat's enterprise editions. The Fedora Project  continues to improve the Anaconda installer, which now supports installation for advanced storage. Sporting kernel version 3.9.0, Fedora 19 defaults to a Live Gnome 3 desktop . The boot process now tailors itself to your computer hardware, so you should start seeing faster boot times. Also featured in Fedora 19: LibreOffice 4.0, improved support for VoIP and broadband, new firewall features, and consistent naming of network devices .
Defective discs will be replaced. Please send an email to mailto:email@example.com.
- Knoppix: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
- Knoppix release notes: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix720-en.html
- Knoppix forums: http://knoppix.net/forum/
- Fedora: http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora
- Fedora release notes: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Release_Notes/index.html
- Fedora forums: https://ask.fedoraproject.org/questions/
Buy this article as PDF
VMware bids for a stake in the container industry with a bold effort to integrate containers with its classic virtualization system.
3ROS attack tool lowers the technical bar so anyone can be an intruder.
Mozilla's latest browser offers powerful new privacy feature
If attackers are on your system, saving your passwords in a password vault is no protection.
Faulty hash algorithm persists, despite efforts by experts to raise awareness.
Powerful man-in-the-middle attack is now targeting online shopping.
Another high-profile coder says the kernel team needs a kinder, gentler culture.
Bug database has a bug of its own that could allow an intruder to create an unauthorized account.
Report focuses federal resources on achieving universal Internet access.
Leading browser makers say “no” to porous encryption algorithm