Writing apps for Firefox OS phones
The second problem is usability. This app is screaming for a zoom function in edit mode. Even when the cells are 2x2 blocks on the canvas, they are tiny. No fat (or even thin) fingers will be able to place a cell accurately on the playing field without a stylus. Again, feel free to make your own changes and improvements.
Although the GoL app is far from perfect, it shows how easy it is create an app for the Firefox OS mobile platform and illustrates some of the ways you can implement the assets Mozilla makes available.
If you already develop web apps using HTML5, you're basically done. If not, HTML, CSS3, and jQuery are well-documented and relatively easy technologies to master, so you should be able to begin creating your apps in no time.
- Firefox OS Simulator add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefox-os-simulator/
- Assets you'll need to get started: http://buildingfirefoxos.com/downloads/
- Building blocks: http://buildingfirefoxos.com/building-blocks/
- Mozilla styleguide: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/styleguide/products/firefox-os/icons/
- How to write a good manifest: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Apps/Manifest
- Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Main_Page
- jQuery: http://jquery.com/
- jCanvas: http://calebevans.me/projects/jcanvas/
- Firefox Marketplace: https://marketplace.firefox.com/
- Firefox Marketplace developer hub: https://marketplace.firefox.com/developers
- Code for this article on Gitorious: https://gitorious.org/firefoxos-game-of-life
Buy this article as PDF
New tool will look like GParted but support a wider range of storage technologies.
New public key pinning feature will help prevent man-in-the-middle attacks.
Carnegie Mellon researchers say 3 million pages could fall down the phishing hole in the next year.
The US government rolls new best-practice rules for protecting SSH.
Klaus Knopper announces the latest version of his iconic Live Linux system.
All websites that use these popular CMS tools could be vulnerable to denial of service attacks if users don't install the updates.
According to a report, many potential victims of the Heartbleed attack have patched their systems, but few have cleaned up the crime scene to protect themselves from the effects of a previous intrusion.
DARPA and NICTA release the code for the ultra-secure microkernel system used in aerial drones.
Should you trust an online service to store your online passwords?
New B+ board lets you build cool things without the complication of a powered USB hub.