Choosing tools for effective virtualization
Xen Source Server used to be a Linux virtualization solution that was very close to the VMware concept. Citrix recently acquired Xen Source. The server product, which is now know as Citrix Xen Server, is still a Linux system at its core. Unfortunately, the Citrix Xen Server command bridge, which is known as Xen Center, has been transformed into a Windows-only application (Figure 2). One point worthy of notice is that Xen now has a live migration feature, XenMotion, which resembles VMware's VMotion.
Linux virtualization has entered the real world, and the choice of tools comes down to real-world questions of stability, efficiency, and management. The commercial vendors, with their well-integrated, graphical controls, are currently the major contenders. On the other hand, a single host is easily managed through less sophisticated alternatives.
Before choosing a virtualization system, take a careful look at your needs and build a comprehensive solution that is easy to manage, monitor, and deploy. Also, leave yourself room to grow, because you're no longer limited by the size of your server room.
- VMware: http://http://www.vmware.com
- Virtual Iron: http://www.virtualiron.com
- Novell: http://www.novell.com
- Red Hat: http://www.redhat.com/
- Xen: http://www.xen.org/
- Citrix: http://www.citrix.com/
- VServer: http://linux-vserver.org/
- Qumranet: http://www.qumranet.com/
- KVM: http://kvm.qumranet.com/
- Solid ICE: http://web1.qumranet.com/
- QEMU: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
- VirtualBox: http://www.virtualbox.org
- S3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261
- Parallels: http://www.parallels.com/
- Ganeti: http://code.google.com/p/ganeti/
- SWsoft: http://www.swsoft.com
- OpenVZ: http://openvz.org/
- openQRM: http://www.openqrm.com
- xen-tools: http://xen-tools.org
Donors will get to vote on new features for the free video editor.
Debian project puts init out to pasture and says no to Ubuntu's Upstart.
Ultra-sophisticated attack tool might have originated from a state-sponsored intelligence service.
New alternative for init comes with a small footprint and minimal configuration.
X marks the target for the next-generation windowing system.
Super-clone CentOS Linux gets beamed up to the mother ship.
HTML technology will enable new video editing and playback options.
New Linux distro is optimzed for gaming.