Choosing tools for effective virtualization
Xen Source Server used to be a Linux virtualization solution that was very close to the VMware concept. Citrix recently acquired Xen Source. The server product, which is now know as Citrix Xen Server, is still a Linux system at its core. Unfortunately, the Citrix Xen Server command bridge, which is known as Xen Center, has been transformed into a Windows-only application (Figure 2). One point worthy of notice is that Xen now has a live migration feature, XenMotion, which resembles VMware's VMotion.
Linux virtualization has entered the real world, and the choice of tools comes down to real-world questions of stability, efficiency, and management. The commercial vendors, with their well-integrated, graphical controls, are currently the major contenders. On the other hand, a single host is easily managed through less sophisticated alternatives.
Before choosing a virtualization system, take a careful look at your needs and build a comprehensive solution that is easy to manage, monitor, and deploy. Also, leave yourself room to grow, because you're no longer limited by the size of your server room.
- VMware: http://http://www.vmware.com
- Virtual Iron: http://www.virtualiron.com
- Novell: http://www.novell.com
- Red Hat: http://www.redhat.com/
- Xen: http://www.xen.org/
- Citrix: http://www.citrix.com/
- VServer: http://linux-vserver.org/
- Qumranet: http://www.qumranet.com/
- KVM: http://kvm.qumranet.com/
- Solid ICE: http://web1.qumranet.com/
- QEMU: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
- VirtualBox: http://www.virtualbox.org
- S3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261
- Parallels: http://www.parallels.com/
- Ganeti: http://code.google.com/p/ganeti/
- SWsoft: http://www.swsoft.com
- OpenVZ: http://openvz.org/
- openQRM: http://www.openqrm.com
- xen-tools: http://xen-tools.org
Buy this article as PDF
Linux Foundation's big event celebrates the 25th anniversary of Linux
Linux has evolved from a “won’t be a professional” project to one of the most professional software projects in the history of computers.
Competitors get in the game with RHEL without Red Hat
Security researchers have already notified Microsoft; some fixes are available
The company is collaborating with Google and Intel to use Kubernetes as an engine for Fuel
Customers can take a free test drive of SLES for HPC on the Azure Cloud
San Francisco-based chip company announces their first fully open source chip platform.
The whole distro gets rebuilt on glibc 2.3
Ubuntu Vendor tries to solve app packaging and distribution problem across distributions.