Configure and manage a network attached storage solution
- Turn a PC into a Network Attached Storage server with FreeNAS
- Configure, manage, and troubleshoot your FreeNAS installation
- Up to date with the latest FreeNAS release
- Includes a comprehensive troubleshooting section
Building, securing, and maintaining networks with the FreeBSD operating system
- Set up and manage networking on FreeBSD
- Virtualization with FreeBSD Jails, IPFW and PF
- Configure interfaces, protocols, and routing
Best practices for designing, coding, and distributing your Python software
- Learn Python development best practices from an expert, with detailed coverage of naming and coding conventions
- Apply object-oriented principles, design patterns, and advanced syntax tricks
- Manage your code with distributed version control
- Profile and optimize your code
- Proactive test-driven development and continuous integration
By now, you might have noticed that I'm a big fan of Puppy Linux. It is the distro I'm running on my workhorse ASUS Eee PC 701 4G netbook, and it helps me to stay productive not only in airports, cafés, and hotel rooms but also at home. But if you are still undecided whether you should give Puppy Linux a try, here are five reasons why this little gem deserves a closer look.
Develop a complete PHP web application from start to finish
Learn advanced programming techniques and explore Ruby’s full potential through a varied series of exciting projects
Objects were not always a key part of the PHP project. In fact, they have been described as an afterthought by PHP’s designers. As afterthoughts go, this one has proved remarkably resilient. In this chapter, I introduce coverage
of objects by summarizing the development of PHP’s object-oriented features.
Blender 3D Architecture, Buildings, and Scenery will show you how to create realistic architectural models in Blender. Blender is an open-source 3D animation program released as free software. It can be used for modeling, texturing, skinning, animating, and so on. It runs on all the important operating systems (including Windows, Mac, and Linux).
Installing any kind of operating system is a big move and can come as something of a shock to your PC. However, Fedora makes this complicated maneuver as easy as possible. Its installation routines are very advanced compared to previous versions of Linux, and even compared to other current distributions.
On August 21 this year, Royal Pingdom ran a report on Linux popularity around the world, based on Google searches. One of the interesting data points was that Utah had a higher than expected interest in open source. I had a chance to confirm that result a week later when attending the Utah Open Source Conference, held from August 28 through August 30 at the Salt Lake Community College, in Salt Lake City, Utah.
DARPA and NICTA release the code for the ultra-secure microkernel system used in aerial drones.
Should you trust an online service to store your online passwords?
New B+ board lets you build cool things without the complication of a powered USB hub.
Redmond rushes in to root out alleged malware haven.
New initiative will bring futuristic virtual reality effects to the web surfing experience.
Dyreza malware launches a man-in-the-middle attack that compromises SSL.
New cloud combines worldwide access with local attention to data security.
FOSS community acts to protect freedom of choice for laptop devices.